JANUARY: Communication Outage
During a disaster, cellular networks may be overloaded or may fail. Your phone may be lost, damaged, or out of battery. You may not be able to access the internet. How will you exchange information with loved ones and receive emergency information and alerts from authorities?
- Create a family communications plan - www.ready.gov/plan
- Establish emergency meeting places and identify an out-of-town contact
- Sign up for Nixle emergency alerts on your mobile device - Text “TETON_WY” to 888777
- Reply with “ESP” for Spanish
- Sign up for road alerts through 511 Notify - https://511notify.wyoroad.info/511Nofity/login
- Get a NOAA All Hazards Weather Radio. The radios are relatively inexpensive and readily available from local and online retailers. Learn more at https://www.tetoncountywy.gov/508/NOAA-All-Hazards-Weather-Radio-for-Home-
- Bookmark www.tcincident.org. This is your one-stop-shop for up-to-date information about current disasters or incidents in Teton County, including evacuation orders, shelters, and more.
Try texting instead of calling during a mass emergency. When a network's voice channels are too overloaded to handle additional calls, a text message or SMS might still make it through.
- www.tetoncountywy.gov/em (Teton County Emergency Management)
- https://hls.wyo.gov/307 (Be 307 Aware: Emergency Radio Communications in the Backcountry)
- www.fcc.gov/emergency (FCC/FEMA Emergency Communications Tips)
- www.fema.gov/about/news-multimedia/mobile-app-text-messages (FEMA’s Mobile App & Alerts)
- CDC Blog “Lost and Found: Reuniting with Loved Ones in an Emergency”
Community Safety and Awareness Days/Weeks/Months
- January is National Human Trafficking Prevention Month [https://www.dhs.gov/blue-campaign]
- January is National Radon Action Month [www.epa.gov/radon]
- January 9, 2022: National Law Enforcement Appreciation Day
- January 11, 2022: National Human Trafficking Awareness Day & #WearBlueDay [https://www.dhs.gov/blue-campaign/wearblueday]
- January 17 – 23, 2022: Community Risk Reduction Week [https://crrweek.org/]