Due to local geology, large earthquakes are possible (and even expected) in Teton County. Learn what you can do to stay safe before, during, and after an earthquake, and practice DROP, COVER, and HOLD ON in the Great ShakeOut earthquake drill on October 20.
- Secure your space to reduce/prevent earthquake damage.
- Identify safe spaces to take cover in your home and workplace.
- Locate and practice emergency escape routes.
- Know your emergency plan and the location of your disaster kit(s).
- Consider purchasing earthquake insurance.
- DROP, COVER, and HOLD ON if the ground starts shaking.
Do not run outside or to another room while the ground is shaking. Stay where you are and take cover under a sturdy desk, table, or bench. Most injuries during earthquakes occur when people are hit by falling objects while entering or leaving buildings.
- www.earthquakecountry.org/sevensteps/ (7 Steps to Earthquake Safety)
- https://www.shakeout.org/wyoming/index.html (The Great Wyoming ShakeOut)
- www.wsgs.wyo.gov/hazards/hazards-maps.aspx (Wyoming Geologic Hazards Map)
- https://earthquake.usgs.gov/ens/ (Earthquake Notification Service)
- www.usgs.gov/natural-hazards/earthquake-hazards/earthquakes (United States Geological Survey)
- www.wsgs.wyo.gov/hazards/earthquakes.aspx (Wyoming State Geological Survey)
Community Safety and Awareness Days/Weeks/Months
- October is National Depression and Mental Health Screening Month [https://screening.mhanational.org/screening-tools/]
- October is National Cybersecurity Awareness Month [https://www.cisa.gov/cybersecurity-awareness-month]
- October is National Domestic Violence Awareness Month [https://www.nctsn.org/resources/public-awareness/national-domestic-violence-awareness-month]
- October is Pedestrian Safety Month [https://www.nhtsa.gov/pedestrian-safety/october-national-pedestrian-safety-month]
- October is National Crime Prevention Month [https://www.ncpc.org/programs/crime-prevention-month/]
- October 9 – 15, 2022: Fire Prevention Week [https://www.nfpa.org/Events/Events/Fire-Prevention-Week/About]
- October 15, 2022: Global Handwashing Day [https://globalhandwashing.org/global-handwashing-day/]
- October 17 – 21, 2022: National School Bus Safety Week [www.americanschoolbuscouncil.org]
- October 20, 2022: The Great ShakeOut Earthquake Drill [www.shakeout.org/wyoming/]
- October 28, 2022: National First Responders Day